Monday, November 15, 2010

Pumpkin Bread


Whenever fall finally rolls around (and it takes it's sweet time down here in Texas), one of the first flavors I crave is pumpkin. It never fails. Every fall I am consumed with the desire to add pumpkin to everything, especially baked goods. It's a very versatile squash, and has many applications aside from the standard pumpkin pie. It's got a sweet, earthy flavor unrivaled by any other winter squash, and when mixed with the right spice, the combination can be nothing short of amazing.


I can't remember where I got this recipe, but I am glad I wrote it down, even if my handwriting was rushed. I don't have any photos of the finished loaf as it was gobbled up too quickly, but believe me when I tell you it was pretty and it was good.

Wet ingredients: 1 cup pumpkin pie filling, 1/2 cup oil (I used Smart Balance), 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup molasses, 1 teaspoon vanilla. 
Dry ingredients: 2 cups flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
Spices: 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (didn't have any cloves), 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.



Pumpkin Bread

  • 1 c. pumpkin pie filling
  • 1/2 c. oil
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. molasses
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves (I subbed pumpkin pie spice and it worked fine)
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin pie filling, oil, sugar, molasses, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet, stir until combined. Pour into prepared loaf pan, bake 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Serve warm with butter if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...