Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Mini Sweet Potato Pies


I made these little pies for Thanksgiving, which lets you know how behind I am with my posts haha. Another recipe from Allrecipes, though I added the toasted mini marshmallows on top, because what sweet potato pie is complete without marshmallows?

Rather than peel and chop whole sweet potatoes, I grabbed a bag of sweet potato fries at the store and chopped them up. Saved me a lot of time. 
Draining the potatoes
Mashing the potatoes with a fork since I don't own a potato masher.
Yep, totally used store-bought pie crusts too.

I used a circle cookie cutter to cut the crusts out

I then pressed them into the mini cupcake pan with the end of a small rounded bottle since I've got long fingernails.

Mixed up the filling ingredients in my blender.

Ready to go into the oven. I put a tablespoon of filling into each shell. 
Fresh from the oven. Yum yum. 



I then put some mini marshmallows on top of each and toasted them in the oven until golden. 

They were half gone halfway through dinner. Definitely a keeper recipe.

Mini Sweet Potato Pies (from Allrecipes)

Ingredients

  • 3/4 pound sweet potato, peeled and diced
  • 1 (9 inch) refrigerated pie crust
  • 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 cup halved cranberries (optional)

Directions

  1. Place the sweet potato in a saucepan with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until fork tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and mash with a fork or potato masher.
  2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Divide the pie crust into 24 small balls. Press them into the cups of two 12 cup mini muffin pans to make tartlet shells. Set aside.
  3. Spoon the sweet potato into a blender or food processor, and add the evaporated milk, egg whites, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Puree until smooth. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of this mixture into each tart shell.
  4. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into one of the tarts comes out clean. Cool in the pans over a wire rack. Garnish each tart with a cranberry half before serving.

Nutritional Information 

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 69 | Total Fat: 2.5g | Cholesterol: < 1mg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...